Friday 3 May 2013

Filming Begins

Right, so, I've been quiet for a while.
But for good reason.
The past week or so has been a whirlwind of building props, finalising the script and scribbling new ideas for the storyboard.

My initial plan was to start shooting on Wednesday 1st May (2013), but alas, after a collected meeting with the other stop-motion productions on the FdA Animation course on the Tuesday, it soon became clear that things were not going to be as smooth.
Complications involving restricted availability of cameras and such made for grim listening and I went away feeling somewhat deflated.
So on Wednesday I went into uni as per usual not entirely sure what to expect. I brought my own measly camera with me as a vain hope of being able to get something shot that day.
Unfortunately this was not forth-coming and so I busied myself in assembling the set that I had brought in the day before to a better standard, set up some lights and got some crude lighting tests to get an idea of what I wanted.



By the end of the day I had booked a camera from the equipment store along with a tripod for Friday and realised I needed to build a bed fast.



(Above: Bed made from Balsa wood, kitchen sponges and a couple handkerchiefs)


Both gave me peculiar comfort, the former giving me the feeling of being in control again, pulling in the reigns, the latter offering me something to busy myself with whilst at home that was productive and prevented me from slipping into worry.
A state of mind that may in some cases offer spontaneous inspiration, but in many other cases lead to headaches, tears and the desire to sleep for the rest of Eternity.
And so Thursday ticked by and nothing happened, apart from me building the bed I required and any other little props I had neglected to make previously. A very satisfying day that made me feel in control once again.

Friday appeared and I awoke determinedly enthusiastic. Today would be the day I put a major dent in my production schedule.
And today, indeed, was such a day as prophesied.

The day soon blurred and by the end of it I had the feeling I had shot perhaps roughly 1/3rd of the film in a raw state (although that is perhaps wildly optimistic).
This day offered me a new found excitement and enthusiasm for the project and I look forward to what the next week brings.




More to come....


No comments:

Post a Comment